Name variation Mu Ko Chang
English translation Elephant Island Archipelago
Number of islands/isles 52
Total land area 650 sq. km.
The 3 largest islands
– Koh Chang: 154.8 sq. km. (Thailand’s second largest island)
– Koh Kood: 129 sq. km. (Fourth largest island in Thailand)
– Koh Maak: 16 sq. km.
Koh Chang land dimension
Length: 30 km. Width: 14 km.
Population 5,356 inhabitants (as of 2005)
Population density 34.6 inhabitants per sq. km.
Zip code 23170
Area code 039
Distance from Bangkok 310-330 km.
Distance from Trat 8 km.
Highest peak 744 m (Khao Jom Peasat, Salak Phet)
Administration 2 sub districts, 9 villages
Monthly Average Range: 34 C (April) – 22 C (January)
Annual Average: 27.3 C
Average High: 31.3 C
Average Low: 23.2 C
Climate Hot and humid
Annual average rainfall amount 3,200 mm
Electricity 220V 50Hz
- Before World War II, Koh Chang was little known and piracy was still prolific around the archipelago.
- Koh Chang was the scene of a sea battle between the Thai and the French naval ships in 1941.
- Backpackers discovered the charms of the archipelago in the mid 70’s.
- The district was given national park status on the 31st of December 1982.
- It was only in 2000 that electricity and landline phones were available.
- It is the 45th of the 102 national parks in Thailand. Rapid developments began in 2002.
Location Southeastern region of Thailand, near the border to Cambodia in the Gulf of Thailand
Latitude 12 6’13” N Longitude 102 21’7” E
Topography Mostly mountainous with rounded slopes; waterfalls are products of this mix of mountains and streams
Flora Dipterocarps, gum trees, conifer, evergreen, fishtail palms, rattan palms, fern, and mangroves
Fauna 29 species of mammals, 74 species of birds, 42 species of reptiles and amphibians, and a rich marine life
- The interior of the main island, Koh Chang, is mountainous, covered by tropical rainforest.
- Accommodations are mostly on the western side, while the eastern side remains agricultural.
- The island looks like a sleeping elephant, hence, its name.
– Rainy season: May to October
– Dry season: November to February
– Summer: March to April
Activities Snorkeling, diving, elephant trekking, hiking, waterfall trek, spa, tattoo, bird watching, island, hopping, kayaking, sailing, parasailing, fishing, squid fishing, overnight deep sea fishing, shopping, bar hopping, Cambodia tour, camping, firefly tour.
- Fine white sandy beaches
- Clear blue marine waters
- Rich marine life
- Rich rainforest wildlife
- Average Room Prices
Low: 300-900 Baht
Middle: 900-2,500 Baht
High: 2,500-6,000 Baht
Deluxe: 6,000 Baht and up
- Average Meal Prices
Low: 40-180 Baht
Middle: 180-300 Baht
High: 300-500 Baht
Suggested clothing Light fibers and thin cotton during the summer season. However, please do prepare pullovers during the month of December & January since it can get cool at night on the island with temperatures as low as 20 C.